Raising Real Readers Series

Think for a moment...how many students do you have in your class right now that can be described as "real readers."  First, let's define "read readers."

My Definition:
Real Reader- (noun); one who successfully reads independently by choice and enjoys the experience of reading

Now...reflect a moment.  Do you have any real readers?  Do you know all of your students enough to actually be able to answer that question? (It's difficult to have the time to have personal conversations with our students all of the time.  It's hard to know how they are outside of our classroom.)

I can honestly say that when students start in my RTI/Title I program I have ZERO real readers.  That is what my motivation and focus is zeroed in on all year long.  (Lazer Focus!) My goal each time I get a new student is to work hard to change they way they feel about reading.  It is one of the most daunting tasks known to me, but one that provides me with such drive, passion and satisfaction that I wouldn't give it up for anything!

I have worked with young readers for over 25 years.  I can honestly say I know all kinds of readers. For 11 of those teaching years I have worked with struggling readers.  This is my true passion.  I was an uninvolved and uninterested reader as a child.  Not one teacher in my life identified that or even discussed this issue with me EVER!  This should NOT happen to a child.  Children should know and understand that reading is important, necessary, and one of the most rewarding ways to be successful in this world.  This is my quest.  Is it yours?  Are you wanting to help your students become real readers?  If so, join me on my journey to explain how I have found success in helping struggling readers become honest to goodness real readers!

My series is called Raising Real Readers. I have planned a series of videos and "Tips To Take Today" lessons that you can begin using in your classroom the very next day!

Below you will find my 1st Periscope video where I address the 1st step to Raising Real Readers.
(Scheduled Periscope 6pm Thursday 1/21/16-it will appear here after taping)

Tip To Take Today Lesson: Reading Interview 
(click on the link below for your free copy)




Enjoy getting to know your students!  Follow me on this blog, Instagram, or Facebook for notifications of new additions to this series! (Find me @Link2Teach-on all)

I'd love to hear how this goes for you and your students!  Let me know in the comments!  

Until the next post...

No comments

Back to Top