Giving An Old Idea a Facelift!

I've been spending the summer working on my TpT store..trying to create items that are too time consuming to do during the school year. As I reflect upon the years past, and try to focus on what really matters for struggling readers, I continue to come to the same conclusion.
Why do students struggle to read?
I truly believe that a majority of the students that walk through my Title I/ RTI classroom door struggle because they simply cannot decode. What fun is reading when you have to struggle to figure out a majority of the words?
(Much like going up to bat with never hitting a ball or going roller skating and always falling down...NOT MUCH FUN.)
The best remedy I have found to this day...with both young beginning readers and older struggling readers is the use of systematic decoding instruction. But, how do you keep one's interest when they are already "turned off" from the whole process?
As I sit here, I come to this conclusion...YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT FUN, EASY TO FOLLOW, EASY TO REMEMBER.
That's it. Then you practice practice practice!
That's why my 1st summer task was to update my Beanie Baby Decoding Strategies posters, graphics, and powerpoint lessons on these strategies to keep them current and to implement what I have learned over the years while teaching them.
I hope the kids enjoy them! Although it took many hours...I have no doubt it was worth every minute!
What do you use to teach decoding to your young or struggling readers?

Here are some pics of my updated items/ideas in my classroom:)

I also put the actual beanie babies on a bookcase right next to our small group table.  This way they are always right there when we need them. :)
I framed them with certificate frames from Dollar Tree.  Yep only $1 each!  Now I can easily remove them and place them on a tripod stand when focusing on a certain strategy. LOVE!







No comments

Back to Top